21 October 2009

Prayer to Christ Crucified

"Let him who desires to attain union with God keep the eyes of his soul ever fixed on Him who hangs dying on the Cross. It is from those wounds of the Saviour that man draws power to suffer not merely with patience, but with joy." ~ Saint Bonaventure


Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before Thy face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech Thee to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins and a firm purpose of amendment, while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Thy Five Wounds, pondering over them within me and calling to mind the words which David, Thy prophet, said of Thee, my Jesus, "They have pierced My Hands and My Feet, they have numbered all My Bones." (Ps. XXII 17-18)

indulgenced by Pope Benedict XIV (1740-1758)

(On any Friday during Lent a plenary indulgence is granted the Christian faithful who, after communion, devoutly recite the above prayer before an image of Jesus Christ crucified. On other days of the year the indulgence is a partial one.)