11 November 2009

Novena to Saint Joseph in special necessities

O Holy Joseph, thou who hast never been invoked in vain, whose arms are ever open to receive the poor afflicted who have recourse to thee, whose heart is ever accessible to those who seek refuge with thee, mercifully cast a glance of pity on my great misery. Thou knowest the great trial that God sees fit to send me; thou knowest the excessive grief that fills my heart. The cross weighs heavily on my shoulders "for the hand of the Lord hath touched me."

In vain have I raised my voice to the throne of the Divine Majesty; the Lord seems not to hearken to my petitions. I have indeed deserved these trials, these temptations, these afflictions, for I have sinned and therefore I must suffer. But do thou, O St. Joseph, whose influence with God is so great, do thou, beloved father, make intercession for me with Jesus. Oh, be my advocate with thy Divine Son, whose protector, foster father, and solicitous guardian thou hast been/ Add to thy great glory also this, that thou wilt give aid in the hopeless affairs which I now commend to thee.

I believe, yes, I believe that thou canst deliver me from my afflictions and will grant me petition/ I have unshaken confidence that thou wilt leave nothing undone to assist one in darkness who humbly and fervently asks thy help. Behold me here at thy feet, O good St. Joseph! Look upon me, have pity on my sighs and tears. Do not abandon me; I will not depart until thou hast spread over me the mantle of thy compassion and promised me thine intercession with God.

Now, ask Saint Joseph for his blessing

Bless me, O dearly beloved Father, St. Joseph; bless my body and my soul, bless my resolutions, my words and deeds, all my actions and omissions, my every step; bless all that I possess, all my interior and exterior goods, that all may redound to the greater honor of God. Bless me for time and eternity, and preserve me from every sin.

Obtain for me the grace to make atonement for all my sins by love and contrition here on earth, so that after my last breath I may, without delay, prostrate at your feet, return thee thanks in Heaven for all the love and goodness thou, O dearest father, hast shown me here below. Amen.

Now, pray an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be three times, in thanksgiving to God for the graces bestowed upon Saint Joseph.

O Jesus, Mary and Joseph, accept these three Our Fathers from me, a poor sinner, and grant that my prayer may be pleasing to thee. Let my sighs penetrate thy hearts, that my petition may be favorably received.

I beseech thee by the faithful love which thou hadst for one another, and by all the compassion thou ever showed to those in distress, show me thy love also to me in my present need, and grant my earnest petition. (Name your request)