16 February 2010

Penitential Prayer of Saint Ephrem the Syrian

To be prayed daily on weekdays during the Holy Season of Lent:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, faint-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. (prostration)*

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to thy servant. (prostration)

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own errors, and not to judge my brother, for thou art blessed from all ages to all ages. Amen. (prostration)

Lord have mercy (12 times)

Repeat the prayer with only one prostration at the end.

*In Christianity, to make a prostration, make the Sign of the Cross, kneel down, touching your forehead to the ground and rise immediately. This is not the same prostration position that is used during Holy Orders.